We have all heard the saying that "all good things must come to an end". I had never really taken much time to think about this idea until today. Tonight, I met with my dear accountability for our last official meeting. This group has meant so much to me and even though it doesn't seem to directly relate to a blog about my time as a 40/40, I am going to share some of my journey with them here as I haved learned so much through it. In the summer of 2008, I was approached by one of my youth group's female sponsors. She asked me and two other teen girls to pray about being part of an accountability group. We joined together and though there have been changes and different seasons, God allowed me the priviledge to be part of this accountability group for almost 3 years. Here are just a few of lessons that God taught me through these awesome sisters in Christ.
Lesson 1-Just Do It
I had always heard that accountability was very important as a Christian, but before this group I had never been part of an accountability group or had a consistent accountability partner. Well, it is very different to talk about how important accountability and actually take the leap of faith to be totally transparent and honest with others: pushing them and being pushed in return, BUT it is totally worth it. Now, instead of being afraid of accountability, I cannot wait for my fellow sisters in Christ in my cohort of 40/40s to encourage me and give me tough love.
Lesson 2-Learn Their Love Language
While in my group, we took the love language quiz and I realized that it was one of the best things that I had ever done. Not only did I learn how to better show love, I started to recognize the root of a lot of my frustrations. There are many times that I don't feel love from people that in my head, I know love me. I started to see that these people were showing me love; it just was not in the ways-quality time and words of affirmation-in which I experience love the most. I am so excited to learn how to show love to my fellow 40/40s, cluster support and those around me as I learn more about them.
Lesson 3-Be Honest
I have realized that while it is easy to put on the perfect Christian face, it is totally pointless while in accountability. They will know that you are making it up, or fluffing it up or just not telling the whole truth. No, that doesn't mean that you always have to share every gritty detail, but be willing to admit that you made/make mistakes. This is a lesson that I have to continual work on, but I know that God will continue to push me toward authentic, honest living and honesty while being a 40/40.
Lesson 4-Take Time For Fun
As an accountability group, we would find that when we were having trouble going deep in our meetings, it was because we weren't spending enough time together as friends. I can be all work and no play, but fun and fellowship are so important and God wants us to experience them whether in Colorado or Peru or Paraguay.
I could go on and on and on and on writing all the lessons that God has taught me through my accountability group. These are just a few, but I hope they encourage you to be in Godly accountability with other Christians.
P.S. I leave in 5 weeks from today! I have about $4500 that I need to have raised/pledged before I leave. Please pray about joining me in this journey.
em & extreme