12/8/11

Christmas Time is Here...

Friends and Family, 
My prayer for all of you in this (casi/almost) Holiday Season is that you experience rest and the hope that only God can give.  I have been thinking these last few days about how I am part of such a bigger picture.  I have a friend who just left for India with YWAM; another is starting her YWAM training in January.  I went to Lima this week and was blessed to see a bit of what God is doing there.  Last week, I thought a lot about Asuncion: God's vision and heart for the people there.  I am just a little part of this huge picture that God has.  Truthfully, I, the little part that I am, is tired, so I am glad for the opportunity to have a few weeks of vacation to recharge and gain some perspective.

As I look back at my last blogs, I realize that I haven't updated you all much on the amazing work in Chachani. Chachani is a little, dusty area of Arequipa on the side of the volcano Chachani.  Since August, my team and another team of 40/40 from Arequipa have been working there.  Last week was probably that highlight of my time there as I had the opportunity to see one of our contacts lead a cell group on her own.  I thought back to when we first met her at a medical clinic in Chachani; some of us didn't think she was very interested.  She started discipleship classes and was very consistent in coming to them.  (Praise the Lord!)  God brought healing of headaches to her oldest daughter and used a dangerous situation with her husband to bring him to faith.  Now, I see her leading with much wisdom and passion.  It is the work of the Lord transforming a life and she is just one of the thousands/millions that he is calling forward to lead for him.  

The month of November specifically went by in a flash as we had an awesome short-term team here to serve and help.  They were excited and ready to work.  I am very thankful for their help;  they were used by God in ways that they will probably never understand.  One great story that I want to share is about another contact in Chachani.  The short-termers brought food to give to different contacts in Chachani.  We decided to give a compassion bag, as we call them, to a mom and her children because the kids come to almost all of our activities.  The only time that we had met the mom before was when she was drunk on a bus with her kids.  I prayed hard that night for protection for the kids.  Giving her this bag, though, created a great entry point into her life and heart.  She has now come to a few church services and the cell group that we had.  She has had a hard life, but she is opening up bit by bit to God and his help and love.  November also included a great birthday with Sharpies, a new CD and omelets.  We had an amazing Thanksgiving as a team and then finished out Missionary School.  I am now an official 40/40 for Paraguay!

There are some ways that you can support me this Holiday Season.

Prayer Requests:
Safe Travels for Vacation
Transition-to a new country, new city, new house, more people on our team, new Cluster Family, new climate
Work in Paraguay-Church of 1000 in 1 1/2 years
People in Paraguay-Open Hearts

Financially:
My gracious parents paid for my tickets to come home for Christmas, but I could really use some help reimbursing them for the cost.  Also, they are coming on a short-term trip next August and could use some financial help if at all possible.  Send me a Facebook message, shoot me an email or talk to me in person if this is an area where you can help.

Much Love, 

Emily Burke