1/10/12

Mba'éichapa (How are you?)

I have safely made my way to Asuncion, Paraguay.  Here are 5 fast facts regarding Paraguay and the work here:
1. Hot-We are in summer here, so it is pretty warm.  Today it got to 100F.  
2.Cool-We have fans and air conditioning in the Church and my room!  Here, I am living in some rooms that are in the same complex as a Nazarene church.  They are a newly constructed blessing to myself and the other missionaries.
3.Tereré-There is traditional drink here in Paraguay that is a cold mate (similar to tea) passed from one person to another.  Not only is it a refreshing drink, but also a way to build friendships.
4.Meat-Wow, I love meat and Paraguayans love their meat.  Further, I love barbeque and Paraguayans love barbequing, too.  I have been up past 11pm two different nights already eating barbequed meat and enjoying the opportunity to fellowship with other missionaries, leaders and whoever stops by.
5. Guaraní-The majority of Paraguayans speak a native language called Guaraní.  Right now, I can only say about two different words, but this Saturday I will be attending Guarani class thanks to one of the local leaders of the church.  In exchange, some of us missionaries are going to try and teach an English class as English is often required to gain higher paying jobs.

Overall, I am very excited for the vision here in Paraguay and the work that is too come.  I know that it will not be easy, but I am trusting the Lord to carry myself and my team through every trial and tribulation.

God Bless,

Emily