1/24/12

Character

I have come to love reading and sharing quotes.  Words hold power, power to change the way we think, speak and/or act.  Today, in group devotionals, we talked about character.  I have always wanted to be a person of strong character.  The Bible talks about being refined by fire and I believe that concept is especially true when it comes to character.  It is easy to exhibit good character traits-loyalty, patience, respect, etc-with people who treat us the way we want to be treated.  It isn't even that hard to have good character when we are in a comfortable place, like our home, with our friends or in a situation where we have been before.  My character is put to the test every day as a missionary.  There are many opportunities to be lazy and cut corners, be selfish and focus on my desires or get distracted and think only of the past or future.  Sometimes I take those opportunities, but the great thing about character is that we are not stuck with a bad trait.  My character is the consequence of my decisions.  If there is something in my character that I do not like, I can change.  Paul talks about in 2 Corinthians being a new creation and that the old has gone and that the new has come.  It is time for something new.  New things can be times of excitement and emotion, but sometimes new means hard.  Those of us who know Christ are not without hope, as we have his power, the power that conquered the grave, living with us.  I can exceed even the earthly expectations of good character as I live a life pleasing to the Lord.  Here are some quotes about character.  I hope they cause you to think of how you can improve to be the person that God has created you to be.


Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
Albert Einstein
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln
Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
No change of circumstances can repair a defect of character.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of me.
Dwight L. Moody
Character, not circumstances, makes the man.
Booker T. Washington
Character is the result of two things: mental attitude and the way we spend our time.
Elbert Hubbard